The Brenham Volunteer Fire Department sponsored the first Maifest in 1881, and purchased the property now known as Fireman’s Park in 1884. The park features ball fields, an outdoor kitchen, volleyball courts, and several picnic areas. In 1935, the WorksProgress Administration constructed the building that houses a working, antique carousel that dates to about 1900.
Maifest has a tradition of supporting the community. In 1948, funds were raised to build Brenham’s public swimming pool, and today festival profits help to fund a variety of local youth programs.