City of Arlington

City Of Arlington

  • <p>General Motors plant, 1954. (Arlington Historical Society)</p> <p>Three men and a car with photo label saying Formal Opening June 1954. Plant Manager E.C. Klotzburger and Production Manager R.J. Howlett look over the 10,000th car produced at the Arlington plant</p>
  • <p>Dixie Tourist Camp (Arlington Historical Society)</p> <p>Group of small buildings with sign saying Dixie Tourist Camp</p>
  • <p>Mineral well in downtown Arlington, 1930. (J.W. Dunlop Collection, The University of Texas-Arlington)</p> <p>Small gazebo in center of street with sign saying The Home of Arlington Crystals</p>
  • <p>Tiny’s Tavern on Division Street in the 1930s. (Arlington Historical Society)</p> <p>A group of people gathered in a tavern</p>
  • <p>Interurban tracks on Abram Street. (Arlington Historical Society)</p> <p>Railroad tracks running down the center of a street</p>
  • <p>Arlington Downs Racetrack, 1942 (Library of Congress)</p> <p>Archway at entrance to Arlington Downs</p>
  • <p>Arlington Downs Racetrack, 1942 (Library of Congress)</p> <p>Large, long building saying Arlington Downs</p>


Arlington was known as a small agricultural marketplace and a destination with “medicinal” mineral waters for health-seekers up until the early 20th century. When the Bankhead Highway was built through Arlington in the 1920s, it provided a direct connection between two larger cities, Fort Worth and Dallas. Ease of access for travelers triggered rapid growth and the development of the tourism industry. Manufacturing also boomed when General Motors built a plant in Arlington in 1954. The construction of the interstate highway north of the city in the late 1950s led to a dramatic increase in population, as Arlington became one of the fastest-growing areas along the Bankhead. Take some time to explore the Bankhead’s old routes along Abram and Division Streets before indulging in Arlington’s more modern pursuits.

  • <p>Top O' Hill Terrace entrance today</p> <p>Road into park with stone entrance way with small turrets</p>
  • <p>Server at Tea Room entrance, Top O’ Hill Terrace. (Arlington Baptist College)</p> <p>Man standing in front of sign saying Top O’Hill Terrace</p>
  • <p>Casino entrance, Top O’ Hill Terrace. (Arlington Baptist College)</p> <p>Gated road with stone entrance with two turrets</p>
  • <p>Tea Garden, Top O’ Hill Terrace. (Arlington Baptist College)</p> <p>Small garden with center pond and brick gazebo</p>

Top O' Hill Terrace, 3001 W. Division St.

Top O’ Hill Terrace is located on the campus of Arlington Baptist College, but its history tells a spicier story. When it opened in the late 1920s, its restaurant and tea garden operated legitimately, while a casino and brothel operated illegally. Rest assured that you can visit Top O’ Hill Terrace safely (and legally!) on your Bankhead road trip.

  • Listen to the audio

Arlington Convention and Visitors Bureau

1905 E. Randol Mill Rd.
Visit Website