Perhaps the epitome of the “Wild West” with numerous saloons, brothels, and gambling houses, El Paso was known as “Six Shooter Capital” and “Sin City” during its early years. The arrival of the railroads in 1881 had the biggest impact on El Paso in terms of transforming the dusty village to a bustling frontier town. By 1900, vice and lawlessness started to wane as El Paso evolved into a modern metropolis with significant industry, commerce, and transportation. The 1912 Fort Worth–El Paso Highway, designated part of the Bankhead Highway six years later, boosted the economy with an influx of business and tourists. El Paso stories, old and new, can be found not only in its many museums, but also just driving the streets of the city. The El Paso Mission Trail, El Segundo Barrio, and Concordia Cemetery are just a few of the places that will help you learn about the diverse populations and enterprises of the westernmost city of the Texas Bankhead Highway.
A. Winston Tourist Home (El Torito Grocery), 3205 Alameda Ave.
Today this building is home to El Torito Grocery, but in the 1940s it was known as the A. Winston Tourist Home. In the 1940s and 50s, African American travelers often did not have access to public hotels. Anderson and Gertrude Winston offered housing in their home, and operated a café and an auto garage. Publications like the Negro Motorist Green Book provided tourists a way to engage with African American-friendly businesses.
Destination El Paso